Bronchial asthma is a seriouschronic respiratory disease, which is characterized by inflammation and increased sensitivity of the bronchi. A person suffering from this disease often has asthmatic attacks that can be triggered by allergens, cold air, strong emotional stress and other factors. In order to cope with the attack with asthma, doctors recommend using inhalers. These devices are able to quickly deliver the medicinal substances to the desired organ. Intravenous and intramuscular solutions, tablets are best used as drugs for the treatment of bronchial asthma. And during seizures, a rapid speed of action of the medicine is important, in this case, inhalers are irreplaceable.
Types of inhalers
The first inhaler was invented in 1874. Since then, these funds, used for inhalation in bronchial asthma, have changed a lot. There are several types of inhalers.
- Powder metered-dose inhalers are devices that deliver a dose of dry powder to the respiratory tract. The downside can be a high price.
- Liquid metered-dose inhalers are available inform of aerosols. They are easy to handle and affordable. To get the substance into the respiratory tract, while injecting the aerosol, you must simultaneously inhale.
- Spacers are plastic or metalvalves that are mounted on the inhaler. This chamber releases the medicine only when inhaled. Such special means facilitate the procedure of inhalation and can be used for children. Among the shortcomings can be identified a large size of the spacer.
- Nebulizers are devices that spraymedicinal product for small fractions. That allows you to deliver it to the most remote parts of the airways. According to the principle of operation, these devices are divided into ultrasonic and compressor. By the size of a nebulizer is much more than a pocket inhaler, so most often it is used at home.
Types of drugs for the treatment of bronchial asthma
In pharmacies you can find different commercialnames of inhalers. When choosing them, pay attention to the active substance that affects the bronchi. In general, preparations for bronchial asthma are divided into 2 types: bronchodilator and anti-inflammatory drugs. Bronchodilators have the following subspecies:
- Sympathomimetics stimulate bronchial receptors, expanding their lumens. For example, pirburetol, salbutamol, levalbuterol, terbutaline and others.
- M-cholinoreceptor blockers relax the bronchi. The active substance is often atrovent.
- Methylxanthines relax the smooth muscles of the bronchi, blocking some enzymes in the body. There are such drugs as aminophylline and theophylline.
Anti-inflammatory drugs are based onglucocorticoids. These hormonal drugs strengthen the action of the hormone adrenaline and remove the swelling from the mucous membrane of the respiratory tract. For example, fliksotid, bekotid, benacort, inhakort. Patients with bronchial asthma severely prescribed glucocorticoid hormone tablets, in other cases, patients use a pocket inhaler. When asthma accompanies other bacterial infections, antibiotics are prescribed for their treatment.