Incredibly sharp ... fiery-sharp ... this is the first,that comes to your mind when you hear about Thai cuisine. Indeed, hot peppers and spices are the main ingredients, without which there is not a single recipe for sharp Thai dishes. And the most famous dish, of course, will be a soup in which you will find a whole palette of tastes. Simultaneously, and acute, and sour, and sweet, and salty, that volume is not without reason considered a visiting card of Thai cuisine. His taste is magnificent, so rich and unusual that it can not be forgotten. It is easy to prepare, it does not take much time, so the recipe for this wonderful soup is useful to any hostess. There are several varieties of this wonderful soup, each recipe differs from others mainly due to one or two ingredients. Tom yam kung, or a spicy soup with shrimps, deservedly ranks first in the top ten favorite dishes of tourists. Its taste is so good that after trying it once, everyone will want more and more. In addition to the unusual taste, this soup has also healing properties - it is only necessary to look at the list of ingredients that make up the recipe:
- Chili is used as a cough medicine. It is useful for the entire respiratory system, as well as for the heart.
- Lime is used to prevent cough, cold and scurvy.
- Kafir lime is used to give a pleasant citrus smell to dishes. His juice cough and some types of abdominal pain are treated.
- Lemongrass helps to cope with excessive gassing in the stomach and intestines, reduces temperature and prevents the spread of certain types of bacteria.
These are just some useful properties of soup that volume. In addition, it is very nutritious, thanks to shrimp and vegetables. This is the food that not only sates, but also helps to maintain health. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why the Yam Kung is considered one of the best Thai dishes. So, offer you the recipe of the most popular Thai dish. Meet that tom kung, an acute Thai soup with shrimp.
What will you need?
- 1 liter of chicken broth
- 5-6 leaves of kafir lime
- 2 stems of lemongrass, aka lemon grass
- 1 root of the galangal
- 1 fresh chili pepper
- 200 g fresh shiitake mushrooms
- juice of one lime
- Thai fish sauce - 2 tbsp. l.
- soy sauce - 1 tbsp. l.
- 450 g large peeled shrimp
- sugar - 1 tsp.
- A small bunch of fresh coriander
What to do if you can not find all the necessaryfor that pit ingredients? First of all, do not despair! In extreme cases, lemongrass and leaves of kafir lime can be replaced with lime rind, galangal - the root of ordinary ginger, shiitake - oyster mushrooms or champignons. Instead of a fish sauce with its specific smell, soy sauce is suitable, and Thai chili sauce (1-2 tsp) will be an excellent substitute for fresh chili. As a basis for the preparation of soup, you can use a special paste for soup pits. It already contains the necessary spices, such as lemongrass and galangal. This is a classic recipe for soup that pits, in which coconut milk is not used. It is added to get a softer taste and soften the sharpness.
How to cook
Thai soup is almost ready! Now you need to reduce the fire to a minimum. If you decide to change the recipe of the volume of the pit and add coconut milk, it's about time. Now - this is magic. You need to try the soup and change, "tune" it to your liking. If there is not enough salt, you need to add a little fish sauce. If the soup is too acidic, add more sugar. Less acute it will make coconut milk. If the soup turned out too salty, you will need lime juice. To serve on a table, the volume of holes must be hot, a bit of fresh cilantro can be added to the plate. Instead of bread, it is better to use boiled rice. Galangal and lemongrass should not be eaten, they remain in the dish.
What can be done differently?
- Lightly fry the shrimps in the oil before putting them in the soup
- Try to change the recipe slightly by making a volume of pits on a fish or meat broth.
- Replace the shrimp with chicken (in this case it is better to use chicken broth).
- On the garnish you can cook thinly sliced mushrooms.
- Sometimes fresh lemongrass is put in the prepared soup. It is very fibrous, so it is not eaten.
- Tom yam can even be vegetarian! In this case, you need to prepare a vegetable broth, add more mushrooms and vegetables, for example, tomatoes.