Cauliflower is a member of the familycabbage. Nevertheless, despite its name, which literally means "cabbage flower", it is not a flower of cabbage actually. A colored vegetable is much younger than all the cabbage we know. Its use in food began only several millennia after the beginning of our era (Christmas) in the Mediterranean and Asia Minor. There were also found the first recipes of dishes from a colored vegetable.
Where does cauliflower come from?
Cauliflower required a lottime to move to the west. She arrived in France and England in the early 15th century. And its introduction to Russia occurred relatively recently - in the 17th century. It was grown only for royal people, and dishes made from it were considered a delicacy. Nowadays, recipes from this vegetable have not become particularly popular. Russian conditions are not very favorable for cultivating this type of cabbage, so the price for it is higher than for ordinary. But gourmets do not stop this, because it is not only delicious, but also a real storehouse of useful minerals and substances! In addition, cauliflower is a dietary dish. In order to receive these useful substances and keep your budget in the cold season, we recommend that you conserve the vegetable. Follow our recipes and enjoy the winter delicious, fragrant, spicy, crunchy cauliflower!
Method of preserving curry cauliflower
Thanks to this recipe you can cook not only a delicious snack, but also a very useful pickle. Ingredients for brine:
- 2-3 liters of water;
- 1 cup of vinegar;
- ⅓ cups of sugar;
- 3 ½ tablespoon of salt.
Ingredients for pickling:
- 1.5 kg of cauliflower;
- 1 ¾ teaspoon of salt;
- 6 green cardamom pods;
- 3 bay leaves;
- 1 ½ teaspoon curry powder;
- ¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional);
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric;
- 1 tablespoon of celery seeds.
Recipe for pickled cauliflower with red pepper and carrots
Follow this recipe and you will get the most delicious and crunchy canned cabbage with vegetables! Ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds;
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds;
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed;
- 2 cups of apple cider vinegar;
- 5 medium cloves of garlic (peeled and slightly crushed);
- 3 thick slices of peeled fresh ginger (approximately 8 mm in length);
- 1/2 small yellow sweet onion (peeled and thinly sliced);
- 1/2 cup of white sugar;
- 2 tablespoons of salt;
- 1 teaspoon black pepper;
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric;
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper;
- 1 small cauliflower head (divided into small pieces);
- 4 medium carrots (peeled and cut into longitudinal 10 cm sections);
- 1 small red sweet pepper (remove the core and seeds and cut into strips).
Instructions for cooking:
Conservation is now complete. Now you just have to wait, and then enjoy the fragrant canned cabbage!