Depression destroys your energy and thoughts, andit becomes very difficult to do something. There is no power even to just want something, since there is no belief that your desire at all makes sense. And what should I do? Are there ways to relieve depression? There are ways to do it, but you must understand that it is not easy to overcome a depressive state, and sometimes it takes a lot of time for this. But! It is not impossible to do this! You can not defeat depression with the help of willpower, but you still have the ability to control it, even if your condition is serious, and depression is persistent and persistent. The main thing is to start, and even small first steps will lead you to the road to healing.
The road to recovery from depression
Getting out of depression requires action. Nobody even claims that there is something important to do right away - at first it will be almost impossible. It will be a great achievement for you, even if you just go for a walk or spend at least an hour with friends. Perhaps, it will be hard for you to do, but this will be those very first small steps to healing. The main thing is to start at least something to do. Start small. Set small goals in front of you and start moving towards them. Use all the internal resources that you have left. You probably do not need much energy to walk down the street around the house or dial the number of a loved one and talk to him for at least five minutes? Do what you have planned and reward yourself for every achievement. Thus, that insignificant energy that you had to spend for some action, will return to you multiplied a few times.
Develop supportive relationships
Getting support plays a big role forDispersing the fog of depression in your mind. It is very difficult to support the efforts necessary to relieve depression. But the very nature of depression is such that you want to close in your shell and tight curtains from everyone. Where can I ask for help? Nevertheless, isolation and loneliness only exacerbate the depressed state, so maintaining close relations with people and social activities are extremely important for you. The very idea that you need to turn even to close family members or friends may seem unbearable to you. You can feel shame, depression, guilt; you may feel that you are too tired of the emotions that are bothering you to talk about them. Do not give in to these feelings! Tell yourself that it's not you who think this, it's your depression that speaks for you. Your loved ones will happily do their best to help you. Try not to move away from social life. When you are depressed, you will, of course, be more comfortable if you hide in your shell. But, being close to other people, you will be surprised to notice that you begin to feel less depressed. Communication will relieve the degree of your inner tension, and gradually you will learn to be distracted from your unhappy thoughts. Perhaps you should join a group that receives psychological support during a depression. Working next to people who also deal with a similar problem, you can support each other, give and receive advice, how to survive depression, share experiences. A few tips for building and building relationships
- Talk with at least one person about your feelings.
- Ask a loved one to try to communicate with you on a regular basis.
- Call or write an old friend, do it at least once or twice a week.
- Every week you go with your friends to the cinema, to a concert or a small party.
- Invite your girlfriend for coffee or lunch.
- Meet new people, for example, in a psychological support group, or join a club of interests.
- After classes in a group or a meeting at the club go for a walk with a new friend.
- Offer someone some help.
Get rid of negative thinking
Depression puts a fatty minus on everything, includingand your thoughts, which take on a sharply negative color. But you can not escape from the captivity of pessimism only by the effort of your mind: "just start thinking positive" you will not succeed. Happy thoughts or a joyful perception of reality will not appear simply from the will of the will. Most likely, the trick is to gradually replace negative thoughts with thoughts more "balanced" in emotional coloring. Several ways to resist negative thinking
- Let yourself be less perfect. Many of the depressed people are perfectionists, who erected impossible high standards for themselves, and then began to engage in self-flagellation when they could not meet these standards. Fight this "double" source of stress, which you have voluntarily nurtured for yourself; thus you challenge your negative thinking.
- Communicate with positive people. Pay attention to how they react at least to some minor difficulties (for example, when they can not find a parking spot), and compare it with the reaction that such events could have caused you. Try to learn from them optimism and their persistence in the face of difficulties. If you do this, you yourself will not notice how much less these difficulties will be, because you will learn how to deal with them without unnecessary high costs of your psychic energy.
- Keep a "journal of negative thoughts." Whenever a negative thought attacks you, write it down and what caused it to appear. See your notes when you're in a good mood. Try to objectively analyze whether your negative was really justified. Ask yourself if there was any way to react differently to the situation. Let's give a small example: let's say, during the meeting your guy was some kind of sluggish, answered the questions in monosyllables, without any hunt. You concluded: your relationship is in danger! Or maybe he just was not in the mood that day? Or did he hurt something, but he did not want to upset you? And was it worth making such a pessimistic conclusion, if you did not even ask him about the reason for this behavior?
Types of negative thinking, exacerbating depression There is a category of thoughts from which you need to get rid of, otherwise the fight against depression will not be successful:
- "All or Nothing" - a person looks at the world through a black and white prism, the third for him is not given. ("If I'm not perfect, my whole life will be meaningless")
- Overburdening - only negative experience is generalized. ("I can not do anything right")
- Mental filter - ignoring the positiveevents and focus only on negativity. There is one event that went wrong, as it was necessary, and not all those events that go as planned.
- Underestimation of positive events -reasons are invented, why one should not take good things into account. ("She said that I'm an interesting person, but in fact she does not think so, but said so simply out of courtesy"),
- Hasty conclusions - the formation of a negativeinterpretation of words or events without actual evidence of her rightness. You behave as if you know how to read other people's thoughts ("He must think that I'm just awful looking"), or if you are a fortuneteller ("I can not do this work until the end of the week").
- Emotional reasoning - when you are sure that how you feel reflects reality. ("I feel like a failure, and I really am!")
- "I must" list - a strict list of what you absolutely must and should not do, and self-flagellation in case you did something "not according to the rules."
Take care of yourself
To overcome depression, you shouldtake care of yourself. This care includes adherence to a healthy lifestyle, the desire to learn to manage stress, setting limits on what you are able to do, planning recreation and entertainment. What should you do?
- Set a goal to always sleep at leasteight hours. Depression is usually accompanied by problems with sleep. If you sleep too little (however, too much too), then your mood will be unstable. Try to comply with sleep.
- Walk every day to get your bodyeven a little sunshine. The lack of sunlight can complicate the course of depression. It is not necessary to be in direct sunlight - enough of the radiation that will affect you during the day's walk, even in cloudy weather.
- Keep stress in check. Not only does stress worsen a depressed state, it can still cause this condition. Analyze all the causes that can cause you stress. It can be overload at work, unfavorable relationships in the family, health problems. Once you determine the cause of stress, you can make a plan that will help to avoid or minimize its harmful effects.
- Practice relaxation techniques. The daily practice of relaxation can help alleviate the symptoms of depression, relieve stress and increase feelings of joy and well-being. Try yoga, deep breathing, muscle relaxation or immersion in meditation.
- Take care of caring for your homeanimals. Although nothing can replace human communication, animals can also bring great joy and communication into your life, they can help you feel less isolated. Caring for your pet is a very powerful antidote to depression.
Do what you like Though you can notforce yourself to feel joy or pleasure, you can still continue to do what you always liked. Go back to an old hobby or resume sports that you used to like so much. Express yourself in the work - through music, dance, poems or painting. Take a day trip to the museum, mountains or go to the gym. Force yourself to do all this, even if while you have lost the taste for your favorite business. You will be surprised when you see how much easier it will be for you to become during such activities. Even if your depression does not subside right away, gradually you will feel how optimism and energy fill you more and more, and in time you will feel a noticeable relief.
Go in for sports
When you have depression, then physical exercises -this is what you least want to do. But physical activity is a powerful tool for fighting depression! Scientific research shows that regular exercise can be just as effective for increasing energy levels and reducing fatigue as taking antidepressants. To get maximum benefit, do exercises for 30 minutes every day. But you can start small; even a ten-minute activity can have a positive effect on your mood. Here are a few simple ways to increase your physical activity:
- Replace the journey on the elevator by walking on the stairs.
- Put the car in the most distant parking places.
- Go for a daily walk with the dog.
- Get up from the chair and walk around the room while talking on the phone.
The next step is to turn on the lungsexercise in your daily routine. The key is that you do what you like most, then it will be easier for you to maintain daily physical activity. Do not forget about our advice, and you will find ways to get rid of depression. Even if you have to seek professional help, these tips may be part of your treatment plan; they will help accelerate recovery and prevent the return of depression. We advise you to read: