Irritability is an emotional state,which is characterized by a sharp sense of frustration or vexation. For irritation, we can have many causes, the most common of which are various stressful life situations. Most people experience periods of moderate irritability from time to time, but if this condition becomes permanent, then this may indicate some diseases.
Possible causes of irritability
Irritation can strike any person,no matter how old or young. And the causes of irritability can be very different. The reason may be something simple, like, for example, lack of sleep, or something much more serious - for example, a complex disease. In order to understand how to manage your irritability, you first need to figure out what caused the problem. Some people become more irritable from the morning, others annoy any trifle later in the evening. The degree of irritation largely depends on each person on a particular situation. But in general, such a reaction creates a higher level of tension among others, so it is so important to find ways to keep your irritability under control. Which of us did not happen, when suddenly, apparently, without any apparent reason, suddenly a terrible discontent is falling on us all? We can be irritated by those with whom we work, we sit at one desk, we live under one roof; and at the same time it may seem to us that there is not even a reason for this. How can you take yourself in hand, control your behavior, if you can not even understand what exactly made you angry? To understand what is the matter, we must try to determine what is bothering you the most. To do this, it is necessary, as it were, to step back from the situation and analyze it. Keep in mind that if you do not want to work on this and look for reasons of your irritability, then it can very quickly turn into anger. Once you cross this invisible line, you can do or say a lot of this, which you will later regret. But if you take the trouble to find the root cause, you can find a solution to the problem. Or, at least, try to avoid such situations from now on. Causes of a medical nature Too often, the cause of emotional breakdowns can be the physiological processes occurring in our body. For example, irritability can become a secondary sign of the development of any chronic disease. To determine if the cause of a constant feeling of irritation is a factor of medical or emotional nature, it is worthwhile to undergo a thorough examination. In any case, we strongly recommend that you do this. In the meantime, let's talk about all possible causes of the medical nature.
- Medicines Some medicines,affecting the central nervous system of the patient, can provoke irritability in him. It can cause such a condition and change the dosage of the drug. And sometimes not the medicine itself, but the side effects it causes, can give all the same state of nervousness.
Such an effect can cause the interaction of twoor several drugs, each of which separately and will not have such an effect on the nervous system. In this case, the irritation experienced by a person will be persistent and lasting - it will last as long as you take this combination of drugs. If you take the medicine at your own discretion, then you should immediately stop the treatment. And if the medicine was prescribed by a doctor, then you need to hurry to consult with him. There is one substance, many people do not know about such an effect, but it too can cause increased irritability. This is caffeine. The ingestion of large amounts of caffeine during the day can cause anxiety and an increase in heart rate; In addition, caffeine is able to interact with the drugs you take.
- Disease itself can causea person feel nervous and impatient in dealing with everyday problems. Our body, being protected from the disease, causes us to feel unwell, and this can lead to fatigue and irritability. It is not surprising that when we become ill, we become much more vulnerable emotionally.
- Pain Anyone can make you losetolerance to people and circumstances, which leads to increased irritability. Try to enter into a dispute with a person who has a toothache - you just quarrel if you do not know the reason for his incontinence! Headache, too, can make a person unbearable in communication. And so with any pain stimulus.
- Alcohol abstinence When a person does not receivethe usual share of alcohol, the central nervous system reacts sharply to factors such as bright light, noise, a sharp smell and a change in ambient temperature. The absence of alcohol can also cause a general malaise, which in the end can also lead to irritability.
- Diabetes mellitus Here, mood swings dependfrom the level of sugar in the blood. These level fluctuations, which are due to the constant struggle of the body for trying to regulate the amount of sugar, can cause the opposite emotional states - from satisfaction and calmness to negativity and irritability. Effects on the central nervous system can also occur due to the use of drugs against diabetes.
- Problems with sleep It happens that we are overwhelmedinsomnia, or we simply do not have the time or conditions for a full-fledged sleep. Lack of sleep is not only able to make a person irritable, but also can lead to serious mental problems. Not for nothing that the most terrible torture in China was considered compulsory sleep deprivation for several days - as a result, many went crazy!
The most frequent physiological causes of irritability in women In addition to the reasons already mentioned, there are also those that occur most often (or even only) in women.
- Depression This is a painful condition thatmakes you feel immersed in sadness so much that living in the ordinary regime seems impossible. Women, as individuals more emotional, are depressed much more than men. For example, a woman may fall into postpartum depression, as she is depressed by the changes taking place with her body, and scares the tremendous responsibility she feels when she becomes a mother.
- Premenstrual PMS is very commonbecomes a trigger for the imbalance of women. Irritability, accompanied by constant mood swings, begins to bother us about a week before the onset of menstruation. And all these behavioral "tricks" are explained by changing the hormonal background.
- Menopause The principle is the same as during PMS -all due to the change in the hormonal background in the female body. The menstrual cycle is broken, and the woman enters the perimenopause. At this time, much less estrogen and progesterone are produced, and these are the hormones that affect the emotional state of a woman.
- Basidov's disease Irritability is oneof the signs of this disease. It is an autoimmune disease, and it affects the thyroid gland in such a way that it begins to produce an excessive amount of certain hormones. As soon as this occurs, the heart rate begins to increase; the speed with which the body processes food into useful energy also changes.
- Anemia This is a blood disease caused bya decrease in the level of hemoglobin. Since he carries oxygen from the lungs to every cell of the body, the lack of hemoglobin and, consequently, oxygen leads to the fact that the body can not function normally. Man begins to experience a constant sense of fatigue, and tired and angry is much easier than a person vigorous. Women are more prone to anemia, in particular because of increased blood loss during menstruation due to various diseases.
Emotional problems Emotional problemsmay be the main cause of irritability. They can be either temporary - for example, a quarrel with a domestic one or a conflict at work - and permanent - stress, depression or similar reasons. Stress is the most common cause, which leads a person to incontinence and nervousness. To combat irritability, you need to first identify the cause that caused stress, and then eliminate it, if possible. If you can not remove the cause of stress, then you need to learn how to control your reaction to it. For example, if you are faced with harsh criticism from colleagues, try to respectfully accept their opinion and view it from a neutral point of view, not allowing emotions to interfere with finding the right decision. In this case, you drown out the emotional response, so as not to give vent to negative feelings, which can cause stress and irritability.
How to overcome irritability
Excessive nervousness and incontinence canlead to numerous problems in relations with others. But you can take action to avoid this. If your mood significantly affects your ability to succeed at work and maintain a healthy relationship at home, then you should make an effort and work on yourself. Here are a few steps that you can take towards the tranquility:
You must help yourself!
Sometimes people become irritable, becausethat they lack the skills to communicate effectively with others. For example, you do not know how to explain to someone that his words or actions give you discomfort. This can lead to serious disappointments, since it is very difficult to remain silent if you do not like something. But a sharp assessment of what has been said or done will not improve the situation either, and in either case, irritation and anger will only intensify. Much more effective here would not be to evaluate the actions of your interlocutor, but talk about your feelings that you have in this case arise. Or even diplomatically stop the conversation. Let's say someone speaks too loudly about an event from their life, and you have a headache and want silence. You can say: "Yes, shut up already, at last! Your nasty raspy voice breaks my brain! "And you can ask:" I need to do urgent work; Come on, will you tell me this a little later? "Correct communication is especially important if you know for yourself a weakness - a tendency to irritation. Why should you spoil relations with others if you can just improve your communication skills! Do not forget that every person sometimes needs to be alone with himself and with his thoughts. It is very simple to experience irritation when you are constantly surrounded by a large number of people with all their habits and characteristics. It is impossible to constantly adjust to someone and take into account someone's needs; you need to regularly give time to yourself. Irritation not only tires you, but also makes it difficult to communicate with other people. You yourself will be nervous, and make others feel unhappy. Therefore, fight with your irritability, do not give her a chance to ruin your life! We advise you to read: