Why there is intracranial pressure in infants
Increased intracranial pressure may indicate severe infants, often they begin with the moment of bearing by the mother of the fetus and from childbirth.Intracranial pressure in the baby can be a sign of serious brain pathology Photo: Getty Such a pathology is possible if:
- Fetal hypoxia was observed in the womb. This is possible at a toxicosis, placental abruption, unauthorized use of medications during pregnancy. Also, causative hypoxia can become a smoking woman during pregnancy;
- the baby wrapped around the umbilical cord, which led to the squeezing of the throat during childbirth;
- there were protracted births.
Sometimes intracranial pressure is observed in serious diseases affecting the brain, for example:
- brain tumors;
- disturbed metabolism;
- abscesses in the brain;
- trauma to the skull;
- hydrocephalus, which is congenital or acquired due to severe ailments or surgical interventions.
This pathology requires immediate treatment, so it is important for all serious ailments of the child to consult a pediatrician who will direct the baby to a narrow specialist.
How is intracranial pressure in infants
In newborns and children under 1 year of age, the pathology is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- The fontanel "protrudes";
- the head circumference exceeds the norm;
- the head looks disproportionate;
- the bones of the skull diverge;
- a well developed subcutaneous net of veins on the head is visible;
- the child is constantly crying and irritated;
- he does not come well in weight;
- most often he is sleepy and sluggish;
- there is a lag in development - the child later begins to hold his head, sit, crawl, walk;
- there is a syndrome of "setting sun" - between the iris and the upper eyelid there is a strip of white sclera, and the eyes of the baby are directed downwards.
The doctor, seeing these signs of intracranial pressurein infants, to confirm the exact diagnosis, you can designate the passage of ultrasound or MRI of the brain. Such a pathology can lead to a delay in the mental and physical development of the child, so it is important to pay attention to the condition of the baby, so that if necessary, begin timely therapy. It is also useful to know: