Gothic style in clothes usedmostly girls and young people who are ready for the youth subculture. In fact, they simply copy the fashion that reigned in Europe in the XVII-XVIII centuries and was called "neo-Gothic". The main distinguishing feature of this image is the total predominance of black color. Modern Gothic fashion has little to do with the clothes worn by medieval Goths in Europe. You can say that the appearance of such outfits are responsible for the crusades. Due to the fact that knowing the time had the opportunity to move around the world, get acquainted with other cultures, learn something new, she mastered the technology that was not familiar before, as well as the ways of making clothes. Gothic is famous for its ability to find beautiful and perfect in the dark and terrible. The homeland of this style is France; The most extreme forms he acquired in Burgundy. Gothic outfits first appeared in the Middle Ages in Europe at precisely the time when disliked wizards, unlike anybody, were burned at the stake, the Catholic Church dominated people, and the knights were betrayed by their beloved. Gothic clothing, in fact, as well as in architecture, is beautiful precisely with its gloomy, cold and incredibly strict beauty.
Gothic style in the Middle Ages
At the time of this trend in clothingsociety was divided into estates, the outfits of which differed from each other. So, for example, the townspeople had no right to wear suits or dresses from silk, long trains were also banned, however, this rule did not naturally apply to feudal lords. It was during this period, as experts say, that the Europeans have finally learned how to sew, and the craft of tailors has become more perfect. The first gothic notes appeared in military clothing - the armor of knights. Transformation of the usual fashion began precisely with this decoration. The heavier chain armor was replaced by a lighter and weightless outfit made of solid steel. Following the new trends in military uniform, modernization of everyday clothes of the townspeople took place. Thus, the Roman era was distinguished by a free tailoring, which was also called "shirt-like". The gothic style that has come to replace it not only brought into fashion tight, complex outfits, but also gave the world almost all the known variants of the cut. Scientists believe that their final outlines gothic costume acquired in the XVI century. Men's outfits became short, and in women there was a clear division into the bodice and skirt, which the tailors made with the help of a fabric insert wider. Dresses for ladies sewed with deep front and back neckline, long sleeves, slightly pointed downwards. Clothing of that time was inherent in such elements: sharp collar-struts, as well as cuffs and sleeves themselves, boots with extended noses, the length of which could reach as much as 50 centimeters, hats with sharp corners. Initially, things sewed from a bright fabric, often velvet (this is a little later, the distinctive features of the Gothic style will be dark shades). At that time, men wore two types of costume - long and loose, as well as short and narrow. The second option was more popular among the young population. Since the beginning of the fourteenth century, medieval designers have been fashioning purple - a short jacket with narrowed or hanging down sleeves that went in combination with stockings. Representatives of noble families also sewed kotardi - a narrow caftan. And the second type of this clothing was a blio-short jacket with a length to the waist with wide floors. The raincoats at the time were an ordinary piece of fabric, bent and not sewn on the sides, with a carved hole for the head. This garment bore the name Naramnik, and if there were slits for the hands or sleeves themselves, it was called surko. As for women's clothes, it consisted of a kamiz and a cotta. The latter was a kind of dress with a narrow top and a wide skirt, which was tied with a lacing on the back and side. The waist was made elongated, and the fabric was draped on the abdomen. An integral attribute of the women's attire was considered a train, moreover, its length served as an indicator of the nobility of the lady. On the head of the girl wore "two-horned" cap or cake, which resembled a pipe sewn from the fabric, widening downwards and with a cut in the area of the crown. Thus, the main elements of the medieval wardrobe in the Gothic style were: pointed socks of shoes and hats, a narrow waist with a high lacing, very long stitches made in the form of teeth of the edge of the outfits. And for men - tight pants adjacent to the legs, which looked more like women's stockings.
Gothic subculture in the twentieth century
In the twentieth century, the emergence of such sentiments is associated withthe fall in the late 70's popularity of punk style in both music and clothing. The revolution, which the young men and women of the time were striving for, failed, so the rebellious mood of the youth gradually gave way to a decadent mood. Now the principle "live fast, like the last time, and die young" no longer suits anyone, except for those who really have nothing to lose. At first, the newly born Goths did not differ in any way from punks - they wore the same hairstyles, accessories, preferred a black color in their clothes. However, the new bands that appeared on the musical Olympus formed a solid wall that separates one youth subculture from another. The most important idol of the first "not ready" was a group called "Joy Division". Gradually, the outward appearance of the representatives of the subculture began to take on increasingly clear lines. Young people immersed in mourning for a life full of, in their opinion, suffering and pain, moved their condition to clothes, picking up orders of extremely dark shades. In places of their walks and pastime became cemeteries. Another aspect that, according to fashion historians, has had a direct impact on the formation of the Gothic style - sadomasochism. It was thanks to him that the followers of this subculture began to wear leather outfits with spikes, metal fittings, collars and the like. Many Goths in their intimate lives practiced rough sex, beating, thus expressing their mental anguish through bodily suffering. There are many subtypes of this subculture:
- antique goths;
- Victorian and others.
However, all of them are marked by the gloomy aristocratic style, love of art, and depressive moods.
Create an image
You must understand that dressing like a goth and being inthe soul is two absolutely different things. After all, this subculture not only consists of certain outfits - this is the whole way of life that its representatives conduct. However, if there is a costume party ahead of you or, for example, Halloween, why not change the image for a while? To find the right suit, follow the recommendations below:
- Your outfit should be executed in black,if this shade does not suit you, give preference to dark crimson or purple. With regard to materials, then a good choice is velvet or leather, lace or silk, also pay attention to lurex, vinyl, brocade, organza or taffeta.
- The goth girl must be in the corset,which is put on top of a dress or shirt. He will not only visually narrow your figure, but also give it a very seductive shape. Also suitable leather pants, skirt-maxi or midi. Outer clothing is ready - it's exceptionally long raincoats.
- Men who belong to this subculture, oftenlook pretty feminine, so their outfit can exactly match the clothes ladies. Naturally, it is not necessary to wear a dress or a corset, but wearing a skirt is not forbidden. Also appropriate are pants made of leather, a black shirt, a raincoat in the floor or a long hoodie.
- Both young men and girls-Goths wear massive high dark shoes, similar to the "Grinders". Pick up army boots or boots on a heavy platform, ladies can get by with shoes on a wide heel.
- Gothic style involves the use ofonly silver accessories or made of an alloy of base metal. The fact is that the white shade symbolizes the cold light of the moon and perfectly emphasizes the mourning of the apparel ready, as well as the pallor of their faces. Choose such ornaments: crosses, pendants with skulls or dragons, with spiders or cats, massive rings and silvery large chains, leather bracelets. On the neck you can wear a collar with metal spikes, and on the face it will be appropriate to piercing. Girls will also be approached with small elegant hats with a dark veil and delicate gloves.
- Many Goths prefer black backpacks of huge sizes. They can be decorated with spikes, all sorts of stripes, stained with colored paint or slightly torn.
- One of the main components of the Gothic image- make-up. The most important thing to do is to emphasize the whiteness of your skin. To do this, use a light foundation and powder, but from blush should be discarded. Bring your eyes abundantly with a black liner or a special pencil, and for greater effect you can put dark shadows on your eyelids. Paint your lips with a matte lipstick of some mourning shade, for example, blue, purple or burgundy. Makeup is appropriate in both male and female images.
- Not one goth will go out with nails painted. Choose a dark varnish color, the ideal variant is black. The more careless the coating, the more colorful you will look.
When picking up clothes and make up, makeattention to your hair. Goths welcome long hair, preferably of dark tones. However, if you naturally have a light head of hair, you can simply repaint it in ashy color, using the usual shade of shampoo. As you can see, changing your appearance is not so difficult. The main thing is to choose the right outfit and make up. Another thing is to undergo changes in the soul. But, we think, you do not need it. We hope that these tips will help you understand the peculiarities of the Gothic style and create the image that you aspire to. We advise you to read: